February 23, 2009

Two roads diverged in a wood...


... and I...I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
By Robert Frost



A
ctually, I haven't taken the road, yet, but I think I just might. I have been mulling over the idea on whether or not to homeschool the kids or not. I know that I could handle it, the kids are super excited about it. My only hold up is the fact that I'm afraid that they'll miss the experience. I loved school. Every aspect of it and I feel strongly about my kids having the same experience. And then again, I don't. Although I was good at school, I never learned discipline, and - let's face it - I had a completely inflated view of myself. By the time I got to college, I wanted to yell at the professor who gave me my first C on a paper. "Don't you know who I am? I'm one of the smartest people you'll ever meet". This led to me ultimately dropping out. Well, that and the fact that I had stuck to the line so hard in school that, given just a little freedom, I immersed myself fully in the digression that is your Freshman year of college. I also strayed FAR from God and still find myself regrouping from all the mistakes I made back then. I don't want that for my kids. If my kids need to be challenged more and shown they're not the hottest thing on the block- I want to be able to do it. If my poor child is struggling with reading, I want to explore every possible aspect of her learning. I also want my children's lives to revolve solely around God and family. Is that too much to ask?
I homeschooled Stacy when she was in 6th grade and my husband is reminding how stressed I was. However, I was working when I taught her and lost my way about half way through. Therefor, we have struck a deal. If, by the end of this school year, I can create a complete "curriculum" for next year, I can do it. Piece of cake, right?

1 comment:

Emily said...

Yikes! I don't think I could ever home school, let alone 6 kids at once! But if you want to do it and you feel that it's what God is wanting you to do, then you can do it and I believe you'll be great at it! Fill us in on what you decide.